6.20.2009

Wal-Mart charges more depending on the store!

Yesterday, I decided to go to Athens. Any time I go to Athens or Augusta, I like to go to Wal-Mart to look at their yarn selections. They have more of a variety of colors at the bigger city stores.

The Wal-Mart in Thomson would be considered a rural store. They have the food and stuff, but the store is smaller and doesn't have as good a selection of items as other stores. Whatever, it has what I need and cheaper than the grocery store.

In Athens, the first place I go is the crafts. I'm not happy with the purples I have for a blanket I'm planning, so I wanted to see which colors of yarn they had available. Imagine my surprise when I see the price of the yarn: $2.00. The same exact item at Thomson's store is $2.47. I'm positive the two dollar price is NOT a sale. They would have had roll back signs or red tags or something on the price. I bought 7 skeins of yarn. I saved $3.50.

Then it started to bother me. I'd like to know why people in rural areas - statistically poorer than metro areas - are made to pay more? Supposedly Wally World buys in bulk to save money...but why aren't the prices the same? They didn't buy yarn for one store at a certain price and another lot of yarn for another store at a different price. They bought all the yarn together at THE SAME PRICE.

I'd like to bring it to Wal-Mart's attention. Actually, I'm one of those people that want to have the MEDIA ask that question. I just think it's unfair that poorer people are made to pay more for the same product at different locations of the chain. Doesn't seem very nice.

(and I know all the stories about wal-mart being like this. Just another example.)

2 comments:

  1. i wish you lived in oregon...well...not really, but my cousin-in-law owns a knitting store lol and I could get you really good deals! :P
    www.twistedpdx.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, I'm gonna check it out. :) I think that people in bigger cities wouldn't go to the rural stores. The rural areas should have the lower prices.

    ReplyDelete