I've watched the videos that will.i.am and Perez have released this morning after the fight at the awards show last night. While I'll be the first to admit that the manager of Black Eye Peas was wrong for punching Perez Hilton, if you run your mouth enough, someone is going to resort to violence. If Perez went 5 years (like he says) without someone punching his ass, he was pretty lucky. People are crazy.
Here's the part that bothers me, the reason for the blog. Perez Hilton said he called will.i.am a faggot to piss him off. Why is it ok for you to use a word that you would crucify a straight person for saying?
Let's all remember how GLADD and Hilton went after Eminem when he said faggot, and Eminem had to go on to explain that when he says that, he's trying to insult straight people. No matter how Eminem (or anyone else) explained it, he was wrong, and GLADD called for a boycott of his album.
I'm waiting to see if GLADD makes Perez apologize, or if they stand behind him. If they don't make him apologize, they are all "disgusting human beings". If you want someone else to issue an apology for using the word faggot, then you need to do the same. You can't call out others if you don't first call out yourself.
Don't get me wrong, I like Perez Hilton. I think he's funny, crude, and actually gets to the bottom of tabloid rumors. I just think that if you want the world to change, be more accepting, then you shouldn't use words that you find offensive. It makes you non-credible.
No comments:
Post a Comment